The Casavant Organ at Grace Church in Newark 

The organ at Grace Church in Newark was made at the workshops of Casavant Freres in St. Hyacinthe, Quebec. The organ case, including its hand-carved pipe shades, is made entirely of quarter-sawn oak from New York State.

The organ has 49 ranks, with three manual divisions and a pedal division. It has 45 individual stops and a total of 2,703 pipes. The 16 foot Contrebasse and the twelve lowest notes of the 32 foot Bourdon were retained from the Austin organ previously installed in the gallery.

For the most part the playing action is mechanical. Some larger pipes on the manuals and pedal divisions are controlled by electropneumatic action. The stop action is electric, and the combination action uses a solid state capture system.

The natural keys on the manuals are covered with bone. The sharps are made of ebony. The pedal naturals are made of maple, with sharps of rosewood. The stops and couplers are controlled by wooden drawknobs with engraved bone faces.

Grand Orgue (Manual II)

  • Montre 16'

  • Montre 8'

  • Bourdon 8'

  • Flute harmonique 8'

  • Prestant 4'

  • Flute 4'

  • Doublette 2'

  • Cornet III

  • Grande fourniture II-III

  • Fourniture IV-V

  • Doucaine 16'

  • Trompette 8'

  • Tremblant

Recit (Manual III)

  • Flute majeure 8'

  • Viole de gambe 8'

  • Voix celeste (GG) 8'

  • Principal 4'

  • Flute a fuseau 4'

  • Nazard 2 2/3'

  • Quarte de nazard 2'

  • Tierce 1 3/5'

  • Larigot 1 1/3'

  • Plein jeu V

  • Basson 16'

  • Trompette 8'

  • Hautbois 8' 

  • Voix humaine 8'

  • Tremblant

Grand Choeur (Manual I)

  • Bourdon 8'

  • Trompette royale 16'

  • Trompette royale 8'

  • Trompette royale 4'

Pedale

  • Bourdon 32'

  • Contrebasse 16'

  • Montre 16'

  • Soubasse 16'

  • Octavebasse 8'

  • Bourdon 8'

  • Quinte 5 1/3'

  • Octave 4'

  • Mixture IV

  • Contre bombarde 32'

  • Bombarde 16'

  • Basson 16'

  • Trompette 8'

  • Trompette royale 8'

  • Clarion 4'

Couplers

  • Grand Orgue to Pedale 8'

  • Recit to Pedale 8'

  • Recit to Grand Orgue 16'

  • Recit to Grand Orgue 8'

  • Recit to Grand Orgue 4'

  • Grand Orgue to Grand Choeur 8'

  • Recit to Grand Choeur 16'

  • Recit to Grand Choeur 8'

  • Recit to Grand Choeur 8'

  • Recit to Grand Choeur 4'

The previous organ was installed in 1931 by the Austin Organ Co. of Hartford, Connecticut, and rebuilt in 1949. It included both a chancel organ and a gallery organ, for a total of 84 ranks. The chancel organ is still extant in its case and playable, but not presently in usable condition. The gallery organ has been removed, except for the pipes incorporated into the Casavant organ. Much of it is in storage in the basement of the church. Specifications of the organ may be found on the Organ Historical Society Database.

The first organ in Grace Church's Broad Street building was a 3 manual, 22 rank organ built by Hall & Labagh and installed in 1848 on a balcony in the North Transept. It was apparently unreliable, needing major repair every 10 years or so, and was rebuilt four times. The final time it was rebuilt, in 1928, it was also enlarged and moved to a gallery in the rear of the church. A choir organ was installed in the chancel at the same time (no information about this organ has been found). Church leadership found that this arrangement was still unsatisfactory, and three organ builders were asked to propose improvements in 1930. Each one agreed that both organs were worthless and stood to gain little from further alteration. In 1930, the Austin Organ Co. was engaged to build a completely new instrument which would replace both organs.